From the Mayor and Commission
Thursday, April 23, 6:45 pm
To ease the financial burdens and stress caused by the Coronavirus pandemic, the City of Tamarac is offering the following programs and resources to residents:
- 2020 SHIP Temporary Mortgage, Rent and Utility Payment Assistance Program. This program will provide qualified applicants up to three months of assistance, not to exceed $5,000. It is offered in partnership with the State Housing Initiatives Partnership program (SHIP). Funds are limited; the application process starts April 27. More information is available at www.Tamarac.org/Housing or by calling (954) 597-3549.
- Suspended Water Service Shutoffs. To help people experiencing financial challenges during this pandemic, the City suspended water service shutoffs through June 16.
- Free Virtual Recreational Programs. To help you move your body, exercise your mind and engage with others safely while staying at home to stop the spread, the City is offering online fitness and creative classes. Visit www.Tamarac.org/Parks for a schedule and log-on details.
- Resource Guide. The City has compiled a list of resources and support offered by different agencies. It’s available at www.Tamarac.org/CoronavirusResources.
- Social Services. Tamarac’s Social Services department can provide referrals for resources for seniors, people with special needs, those experiencing food insecurities and more. Call (954) 597-3626.
Free continuing education courses and workshops offered in Tamarac through the City’s partnership with Broward College are suspended through June 3. However, those interested in continuing education are encouraged to attend free informational webinars
hosted by Broward College every Tuesday and Thursday at noon through the end of May. Topics to be addressed include:
- In-demand degrees, technical certificates and industry certifications, many are available online or through remote learning and many are free.
- Credit for years of work experience and prior learning
- Federal financial aid and scholarship opportunities
Broward County Public Schools is introducing a new, more convenient food distribution schedule starting Monday, April 27, allowing recipients to pick up meals for multiple days at a time. Each of the District’s 51 food distribution sites will be open from 10 am – 1 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays. To find a complete list of food distribution sites and other information regarding the District’s response to the Coronavirus pandemic, visit www.BrowardSchools.com/Coronavirus