Commissioner - Mike Gelin (District 2)
Commissioner Gelin represents the City of Tamarac's District 2. He understands the importance of serving the community and has volunteered in a variety of capacities. Mike has represented Tamarac on the Community Involvement Roundtable of the Broward Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), served on the City's Insurance Advisory Board, and graduated in the 2009 Class of Tamarac University. He is a past member of the Forum Club of the Palm Beaches, Florida’s premier non-partisan political and public affairs organization. In 2014, he was selected as a Fellow for the inaugural class of the New Leaders Council of Broward County, recognized as one of the nation’s top progressive young professionals training programs.
Mike currently serves on the board of directors of the Center for Independent Living of Broward County, which through its organizing and advocacy empowers people with disabilities to live independent lives; the Youth Survivors Foundation, a nonprofit that provides mentoring and scholarships; and the National Forum of Black Public Administrators (NFBPA), a professional membership organization dedicated to the advancement of Black leadership in the public sector and other educational services to the community. For years, he served on the board of directors of the Cooperative Feeding Program, a nonprofit organization focused on feeding the homeless and hungry in Broward County, and as a committee member for the Hanley Center Foundation’s Annual Family Picnic.
In addition to community service, Mike is involved in South Florida's business community and professional organizations. He is a member of the Broward League of Cities and the Tamarac North Lauderdale, Lauderhill, Haitian American, and Miramar Pembroke Pines Chambers of Commerce. He is also a member of the Broward Association of Health Underwriters. For many years, he was an active member of the Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance, the Miami Beacon Council and the Palm Beach Business Development Board.
Mike is a graduate of Morris Brown College. He studied abroad at the University of Ghana in West Africa, and the American InterContinental University in London, England. Since graduation, he has continued his professional education and training, earning multiple professional designations including the Certified Employee Benefit Specialist and the Group Benefits Associate from the International Society of Certified Employee Benefits Specialists and the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
Mike is married with one son and has lived in Tamarac for 13 years. He enjoys reading, running in local 5K races, serving as a volunteer coach and playing in recreational basketball leagues. He is a small business owner and has been in business for five years.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Morris Brown College, Atlanta, Georgia
- American InterContinental University, London, England, Summer 1999 (study abroad)
- University of Ghana, Ghana, West Africa, Spring 1998 (study abroad)
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS), Wharton School of University of Pennsylvania & the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- Group Benefits Associate (GBA), Wharton School of University of Pennsylvania & the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- Registered Health Underwriter (RHU), The American College
- Center for Independent Living of Broward County, Board Member
- Youth Survivors Foundation, Board Member
- LifeNet4Families (past Board Member)
- Kiwanis Club of Tamarac, Volunteer
Honors & Recognition
- Legacy Magazine, 50 Most Powerful Black Leaders in Business & Industry, 2019
- Success South Florida Magazine 40 Under 40 Black Leaders of Today and Tomorrow, 2009
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- National League of Cities
- Florida League of Cities
- Broward League of Cities
- New Leaders Council
- Local Progress
- National Black Caucus of Local and Elected Officials, NBC-LEO
- State and Local Government Benefits Association
- Florida Public Human Resource Association
- Florida Public Employer Labor Relations Association
- National Association of Health Underwriters
- National Wellness Institute
- Wellness Council of America
- National Association of Worksite Health Centers
- National African American Insurance Association
- National Forum of Black Public Administrators
- Tamarac Chamber of Commerce
- Lauderhill Chamber of Commerce
- Miramar Pembroke Pines Chamber of Commerce
- North Miami Chamber of Commerce
- Haitian American Chamber of Commerce
- Broward County Black Chamber of Commerce